Saturday 22 November 2014

The Blame Game

I am just back from the United game, and have had time to collect my thoughts. But is there anything new to say?

From where I was sitting, that's the worst United side in my memory. di Maria, Rooney and de Gea I'd have, but you can stuff the rest of them into a cattle truck. Quite the worst bunch of defenders you could possibly imagine - and Fellaini a one-trick pony. So how did Arsenal contrive to lose against that lot?

Well, if you want to find outlandish and inconceivable ways to concede a goal, I beg you to look no further than United's first. A comedy of errors. And the second the standard 'pushing for an equaliser - breakaway' goal that everyone scores against Arsenal these days. But that's not even half the story.

You'll hear and read about what a wonderful game de Gea had. Well, I'd say that it was practically shot-stopping practice for him. Shot after shot hit straight down the middle of the goal. If Arsenal had gone in 3-0 up at half-time, I don't think that would have been an unfair reflection of their superiority and the number of decent chances they had. And whilst I heard in the wake of the previous two capitulations that it was down to the players, not the manager - that they couldn't organise themselves properly then - and they missed the chances today, I'll say this: 

1. If you want genuine quality, go out and spend proper money on it - Costa, Hazard etc. at Chelsea, Aguero, Silva and Toure at City, Angel di Maria... because if you expect the likes of Welbeck and Giroud, from the second tier of strikers, or world-renowned finishers (?) like Wilshere and Cazorla to do the trick for you you are going to be left sadly behind. I am sick to death of hearing 'I nearly signed Ronaldo/Messi/Drogba/Ibrahimovic/Suarez'. Nearly is what we've had for years now.

2.  If you want proper leaders, go and buy the right characters to do that job; to shout at their team-mates and organise them properly. Where are the Adams, Terry, Kompany etc. characters in the Arsenal squad?

3.  If you cannot recognise shortcomings in a squad when everyone else can, Murphy's Law says that those shortcomings will come back to bite you. Again, no defensive cover and no proper DM - for all that Arteta slaves away with every sinew and is an admirable footballer in every sense.

I'll put the lack of these players down to one common factor - the manager. Blame the players for capitulating, or for not finishing off poor opposition. But who bought them, and who sends them out onto the pitch?

I need add nothing else. Except that should we lose on Wednesday things are going to get very ugly indeed. For all he has done in the past, I'd at least wish to see M Wenger leave with his dignity intact in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment