Tuesday 27 December 2022

Our Cup Runneth Over


Arsenal continue on their merry way.

A professional, no-nonsense performance and ultimately comfortable win over West Ham means 40 points out of 45 so far, and now a 7 point lead at the top of the table (notwithstanding that City are still to play). And despite going in at half time a goal down - to a somewhat soft penalty - I was never worried about the final result. And there was plenty to like about the performance, and the way that Arsenal went about their work.

Now, having been looking forward to returning to the stadium for weeks now, I was unable to go. I have Covid; as has my son - we both missed out. So we'll have to go 'cold turkey' for another week. Very frustrating. However, I'm a public-minded chap, so I was never going to risk spreading it around. But I wasn't impressed with Santa this year, when I woke up on Christmas morning feeling flu-ey and took the fateful test. Awkward, when preparing to cook for 12 people! So it was the sofa for me instead.

And at half time I had a WhatsApp conversation with a (Liverpool-supporting) friend of mine, which went as follows (here's a screen shot: and the last line was sent straight after the equaliser...):


Was I right? Or was I right?

Because for all that Arsenal went in a goal down, there wasn't too much to criticise. No real World Cup hangover - a little rustiness I guess - but with Odegaard orchestrating matters, Partey looking typically solid, and Eddie Nketiah filling Jesus' massive boots most admirably, it really did feel like just a matter of time. Three goals in the space of 15 second half minutes put the game to bed swiftly and decisively.

Saka, expertly controlling Odegaard's scuffed shot for the equaliser and, in acres of space, rolling the ball past the helpless Fabianski


Martinelli exposing the Pole at his near post


And Nketiah applying a gloss finish to both his own performance and the score line with a fine turn and no-look cross shot into the far corner - much to the delight of his team-mates and the crowd



All of those at the end of some delightful moves, full of hard pressing, sharp passing and incisive movement from - well - everyone, really. It was, thankfully, as if the World Cup hadn't taken place.

And it would be remiss of me not to mention Odegaard’s late ‘double reverse nutmeg’, which took place almost exactly in front of where I’d have been sitting. If you haven’t seen it, seek it out.

And all this in front of Arsene Wenger, finally back at the 'house' that he designed and built for the first time since he left at the end of the 2017-18 season. And, because nobody outside of a small inner circle of people knew that he was going to be there, the outpouring of joyful song from the crowd was all the more beautiful for being completely spontaneous. 'One Arsene Wenger!' How wonderful!


Things are going to ramp up now, with a difficult run of fixtures on the horizon. Brighton away; Newcastle at home, Tottenham away and United at home. That 7-point buffer is going to come in useful, I would imagine. And we have to temper expectations. Sure, Arsenal are in a strong position, but Top 4 was the first aim, so we shouldn't be dreaming too much yet. Let's hope that the rearranged game with City in mid-February has a ton of meaning. After that we can start getting excited, I hope.

On top of all that, Arteta and Edu should be looking at getting up to three players in over the next month. Strike whilst the iron is hot. Arsenal should be a 'project' to excite any ambitious young footballer anywhere in the world. Let us see.

I remain 'cautiously optimistic'. But City are sure to come on strong, and Newcastle are looking quite relentless too. 

Meantime, all that remains for me to say is COYG! Happy New Year, and I'll be back on New Year's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment